SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Batty for Wreaths & Dollar Bins

Sharing a post I created TWO years ago (that never got posted) because this is the wreath on my door this Halloween:
These exact bats may not be in the Dollar bin this year, but I assure you, I've seen similar things there & at the Dollar Tree/Dollar Stores!

October 2016
In the budget world, one has to be very creative with how one decides on when to make a splurge purchase.  I mean, splurging on a wreath from Pottery Barn just ain't gonna cut it for my family these days.  And when I really think about it...WHY would I want to splurge on a wreath?  Says the holiday freak, I know...but for real!   I actually think I had this same dilemma last Christmas...History repeating itself.
               
It's especially hard to splurge on something from Pottery Barn when I can probably make it myself or find something similar (but maybe even cuter) at Home Goods.  That's right, I said cuter.   I love you PB but- 
I'm just sayin...

I seen this wreath back in the summer & knew it was something I'd love to put on my door  during October.  I like to do a fall theme in August September & then something more spooky in October.  Ya feel me?  Fast forward to well, October, & we still aren't in a house yet- but there's always next year, right?:)  I decided to go ahead & make the wreath anyway because I ended up collecting the supplies during the summer when I spied the materials I would need for cheap or in the dollar bin!  So here it is,what I'd like to call my Dummy Proof PB DIY Bat Wreath Tutorial;)
1.  Gather the materials
I got the bats from the Target dollar bin & the grapevine wreath from Walmart for $3.
I'm sure you might be able to find bats more realistic at a craft store but I was going for cheap!
I always have a glue gun & glue on hand because it is my favorite DIY tool.  
Deco for dummies y'all.  Glue guns are where it's at.  

2.  Cut the number of bats off of the ribbon that you want to use.
I ended up choosing to use five, though the picture shows three.  

3.  Put a large dollop of glue 
on the back of the bats & stick around the wreath.  Make sure to glue an uneven number for best results...a rule of design;)

4.  Cover with spider webs  
Or not...just if you feel like adding a little somethin somethin' -
& w a l a h!  There you have it.    

 
Can't you just envision this wreath on the front door while freshly carved jack-o-lanterns flicker nestled on the front porch waiting on the trick-or-treaters to arrive?
Ohhhh, I can! :)  And all for about 6 bucks!
Happy Spooky Craftin'!