SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

10 Ideas for Beating Summer Boredom

I will never claim to have a clue, or be the best at things like budgeting, planning, entertaining, or "momming" as they call it these days.  In fact, I think I'm probably the worst at it!


But I H A T E to hear the word "bored" in my house. 
 I am always on the hunt & trying to think of ways to pass the day that don't involve the ever popular, always desirable- iPad.  There are so many things to do and see in a days time!  Why sit around (though it can be quite luxurious sometimes!) & let your kiddos destroy your home like an F5 tornado, when we can go out & explore-finding ways to have fun & make memories together?😎  I guess I'm sounding a bit like Mr. Rogers now, but y'all, I like that sweet man. #sorrynotsorry
My boys are 1.5 & 4 years old.  Full of LIFE & not at all short on energy.  We've found ourselves in two places this summer:  Our new home, which is a larger city full of playgrounds, parks, and splash pads only a few minutes away -OR- our smaller hometown, where we are surrounded by lakes, creeks, and big yards of grass to run & play.  
Our only problem in keeping us from all this fun...has been: the HOT sun.


Y u c k !
Somedays, unless you get up early or venture out late, that sun is just too hot to endure!
EVEN in water.  Say what?  YES. 
 And that's where this list has come into play...
Here are a few things to do (mostly) indoors when the sun tries to steal all the fun:

one. drawing contest
Let them pick a theme.  Get your paper and art media, pick a non-biased judge (but who is ever not biased with a child?  I ALWAYS got honorable mention)-ready, set, go!  
Who will win first place?

two.  backyard waterpark
Okay, it isn't indoors & I think almost everybody does this...but I'll mention it anyway!
If you're like us, & don't have a pool in your backyard, grab an inflatable one, a slip n' slide, a sprinkler, a couple balls, buckets, and cars (in my case) & enjoy your private little backyard oasis😉  Don't forget some good summer tunes to play in the background.👌🏽
three.  sock ice skating
Layer 334 pairs of socks...okay, maybe three.  Find a smooth surface in the house.  And wa-lah!  Indoor ice skating.  Just make note, I hold no responsibility for broken bones or Marsha Brady noses.🙅🏻

four.  blanket fort + movie
One of our favorite things to do is get in the teepee or build a blanket fort, turn up the AC, light the fire, and put on a Christmas or Halloween movie.  Instant cozy feels.

five. create a restaurant!
Grab some paper, crayons, & magazines.  Let your kid choose a name for their restaurant (Naturally, Cam chose "The Green Arrow Robot Restaurant" 🤖).  Then let them decide what kind of food they want to serve and how much it will cost.  Cut pictures of food out of magazines and create a menu.  Give them a notepad & crayon & put them to work!  You could do this with other businesses as well...hair salon, tire shop, clothing store.  So many fun places to imagine!  

six.  glow in the dark fun
Turn all the lights out, put on your kids favorite music (Moana, anyone?), and bump a bunch of Dollar General glow in the dark balloons around.  

seven.  build a cardboard creation
Two years ago, I had a large order from IKEA delivered.  Not only did we get great furniture, but we had materials for a masterpiece.  We made a Haunted Mansion in August out of cardboard that year.  After the taping & drawing...we even dug out the halloween decorations & spooky music to give it that "special touch."  So much fun, you guys.
👉🏽I'm pretty sure any home improvement store (like Lowes or Home Depot) would be glad to share some cardboard with you if you ask!

eight.  indoor matchbox carwash
I think boys & girls like matchbox cars equally.  At least, that's what I've heard?  If not, you could totally channel a beauty salon for dolls for little girls.  Any who...around here, we fill a pan with water & suds for all the matchbox cars.  Then, it's up to the boys to scrub them clean at "the car wash."  Not only do the toys get clean, but we have entertainment, too!  
Just make sure you have a water friendly surface with a towel handy...

nine.  books + boardgames
In my opinion, our society totally downplays the value of a good book or boardgame.  I love to use them in therapy as a motivation to work.  With a book, we develop a theme to work with in our activities, with games we alternate turns with sound/language goal practice.  I imagine this would work well with homework, too!  But I'm not in that phase of life yet..."can't wait"...#onemoreyear 🙀"
👉🏽I LOVE Clue.  And so does Cam.  He has no IDEA how to play, but OH the giggles I get from hearing him wing it & instruct me how to play.

ten.  recipes
Let your kiddos pick their favorite recipe out of a kid-friendly book!  Maybe it's a fruit pizza or jello jigglers.  We love making our favorite things out of pancakes.  Use your imagination & have fun together😉


And that's "all I got." 
 Other than, never forsake a nap...AND 
🙋🏻 I've done that for far too long.🙋🏻 
 It truly is a mama's happy hour & time to get ready for the next shift.
  What about you guys?  What does your family do for (mostly) indoor fun?  
P.S. P-r-e-tty sure I am always scrambling for ideas like this in the winter, too!